Geelong’s Oldest Kindergarten
After the war, in 1946, the council provided a scholarship for full training at the Kindergarten Training College to girls interested in teaching at the kindergarten.
In 1982 the first alterations in 50 years were made to Geelong West Kindergarten, with architect N. J. Dunstan following the lead of Laird and Buchan by offering his services free of charge. Although the building almost doubled in size, the extensions were designed to match the existing building and even enhanced the whole appearance of the kindergarten as well as making the function of the building more appropriate for modern times.
A further extension and renovation in 2013 has resulted in the Kindergarten we operate in today, where we are able to accomodate 136 children and employ a staff of 13. In addition to improving the size and appearance of the kindergarten, wheelchair accessibility to all areas of the kindergarten was established. This was all made possible with a government grant of $300,000 and the tireless work of committee members, Lyndal Bayles and Alison McFarlane.